July 22, 2006

A view inside my twisted mind....


Is this what the inside of my head looks like? Maybe. These were notes for "Rumours," a novel I wrote a few years ago for Virgin's Cheek line. I try to keep track of where I stop for a novel, so I know where to pick up, because I don't write in any linear order. I read once that Hemingway re-read his entire work each day before starting again, but I don't see how that's actually possible. (And I'm no Hemingway!) Also, I always have to know my word count near the end of a book, because I can't go over 85,000 for Cheek. That's what all the numbers are about. I tend to have about 10 pages like this by the end of the book. This page came from the very finale. I can tell I was feeling stressed that I was going to go over the word count, because there are several notes about dropping scenes. Anyway, there you have it. My "process."


All right, off to bed...
XXX,
Alison

4 comments:

wendywoo said...

Yeah, I'm thankful to remain on Virgin's writer list too... At one stage I thought we'd parted ways forever, but then suddenly I was back in the fold again...

Adam and Donna are smashing, aren't they? :)

Saskia Walker said...

I love this, because it's even messier than my notes. :) I'm curious, do you plan chapters, or do you put the chapter breaks in where it's appropriate as you write? I also write out of sequence, but I *loosely* plan what is going to be in each chapter and use that method to help me target the word length. It doesn't often work out as it should, though, but it keeps me moving in the right direction. ;)

t'Sade said...

Wow, those notes are messy. Mine aren't much better, maybe I'll post them up when I finish next year's novel. That would be interesting.

But, I like how they just kind of go everywhere but end up with such a polished product.

I write in a line. My stories bounce around, but I found it easier to work on chapter one and go through the final chapter, then edit backwards, then edit forward. I've had pretty much good luck with that. I also can't read the entire book every morning, but I will go back 2-3 chapters and read to "get back in the mood" as it were.

Valentine Bonnaire said...

Perfect! hahahaha! Really.