June 30, 2008

I Am Done. Oh, my God. I Am Done.

No, really. I am done. I have just finished Never Have the Same Sex Twice, and in a moment, I will turn in the manuscript. This has been one of the more difficult projects for me. No, I don't tend to have Writer's Block. But I do sometimes have, um, Editor's Waffle. I mean, for the longest time, I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted this book to be. I am not an expert guide writer and I am also not a sex expert.

So what the hell did I think I was doing writing a guide?

Well, I wanted to write a guide about fucking. Not the tab A into slot B type of guide, with diagrams and slides and students sleeping on their desks. But the basic concept of fucking in a relationship. Of keeping the fucking as hot as when you, well, first fucked.

Because it was hot when we first fucked. Out in that park in Berkeley. With my torn stockings and ripped black sweater. Brutal and hot. Dangerous and just a tiny bit scary how much I wanted him. And it was hot when we fucked yesterday, when he pulled open the button on the top of my favorite pair of Lucky brand jeans and said, "You think flashing me a bit of those pink panties is going to get you what you want?" Brutal and hot. Dangerous and just a tiny bit scary.

But how can you package all of that into a book? Well, my goal was to give tips and suggestions for how to hold onto the heat, because I believe that every powerful relationship starts with that heat.

What made me waffle was that I didn’t want to write a dry guide. I wanted to write a wet guide. Or a hard guide. A rock-hard, throbbing, can’t wait to slip it in you, excuse me, while I take a deep breath guide. Simply put, I wanted to write a guide that would turn people on while reading the pages. So I’ve illustrated my concepts with excerpts from my all-time favorite erotic stories. And I’ve got favorites. Since I was twenty-three, I’ve been making a living editing anthologies. 45 books later, I’ve read thousands of erotic short stories. Snippets from nearly 100 of the hottest ones ever have made it into this book, along with 17 full-length feature stories.

And now? I'm done. Truly.
Who's ready to pop the champagne?



KM said...

I'm ready to pop open the guide!

sinclair said...


Jeremy Edwards said...

A toast to the great Alison Tyler, for her unparalleled work in identifying fucking as the world's richest renewable resource!

Rachel said...

I can't wait to read it and am sure it's just as fabulous as everything else you write. Plus, that's what editors are for (I know, I don't exactly practice what I preach, but I do believe it).

Kristina Wright said...

Congratulations, Alison. :) Enjoy your champagne!

Raven said...

you mention popping in reference to never having the same sex twice, and i'll admit that champagne wasn't the *first* thing on my mind. ;-)



Angell said...

Ooooh I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Here's to you Alison!!

kristina lloyd said...

Well done for being done!

Really looking forward to this one. I do like the sound of a wet guide. Maybe next you could focus on dirty, brutish sex and call it a rough guide. (Sorry.)

This *is* a series, isn't it?

Enjoy your fizz. Chin chin!

Smut Girl said...

Goddammit! Did I miss the champers? Oh well, congrats, congrats, congrats! Yay for you!

EllaRegina said...

I'll pop! Yay!

I love the doorknob illustration, by the way. Is that strictly for purposes of this post or is it in the book?

And will this wet guide be printed on that special paper made for marine biologists so they can take notes underwater -- you know, to survive the wetness that's bound to also ensue while reading? You don't want those letters dripping off the page... Or, maybe you do...? ;-)

Anyway, congratulations!!!!

Emerald said...

Congratulations Alison!

jothemama said...

I can't wait for the rough Guide, Alison - congrats on finishing it, now get it on the shelves fast for me!

Craig Sorensen said...

Sounds amazing Alison, can't wait to read it!


Alison Tyler said...

Thanks very much to everyone—and yes, Eliza did the art for the front page of the book. I don't know if Cleis will end up using it, but I love this picture!

I'm still trying to disconnect my brain from the manuscript. I mean, I keep thinking, Oooh, should have put in that one about fucking on a fire escape. And Ahhh, how could I have left out that one with the hot sex on a rooftop?

But those will have to wait for a sequel...

Saskia Walker said...

Yay!!! I'm so eager to read this one, I just know it's going to be a must-have book. Well done for taking on such a different kind of a project and seeing it through. You're such a talented writer I knew you'd be able to pull it off with panache, but it's still a big shift in gears and that's hard work. More champange for AT!!!

sera said...

Yay, yay, it will be awesome, Imonnabuyit. Champers all around.

(And I agree with Saskia . . . good on you for trying a new thing! Ahem. ;) )

Anonymous said...

It's probably too late to reply to this post, but...so what? It struck a chord in me and I just had to, so here goes...
I couldn't agree more about the importance of the heat in a relationship. Every girl/woman I've ever been with for any length of time has generated that feeling of need and want within me. Whether it was the first time or the millionth time, it's always felt new and scary and wonderful. I've now reached an age where my friends and family (and, at best, acquaintances) have begun to tell me that the heat fades and all one is left with is the friendship...and since you and she have been best friends for so long you've both already reached the "good" part, so why not? Because as much as I love her, as my best friend, there is no, and has never been, any heat between us...so...so...so there!