September 30, 2008

I'm a Wildcat

I mean, I bought a Wildcat. A GE Wildcat. It's a record player. Don't worry. I didn't know it was a record player before a month ago. But I started writing a story about a woman who goes to junk sales, thrift stores, tag sales, and so on. And in my story, she bought a record player. And while doing research, I fell a little bit in love.

This isn't the first time that I've been jealous of another girl's style. A girl who doesn't exist. A girl I wrote. But it is the first time that I purchased an appliance based on writing a novella.

Took me a few weeks to win one on eBay. But I did it. Now, tell me. Am I crazy?



EllaRegina said...

I would have done the same. So maybe we both are crazy. I'm also jealous of many fictional characters. They give me a break from my real life jealousies.

PS lovely record player!

Neve Black said...

I think owning a record player is retro-cool. Don't you just love the smell of vinyl records?

Congratulations on your e-bay win. I think it's grand.

p.s. Isn't a sliver of us in each story we create?

Alison Tyler said...

Mine's actually prettier. I just grabbed that pic off the net. But once I have mine set up, I will take a pic.

I bought the t-shirt, too, btw. You spin me round. If loving 80s music is wrong, then fuck, I don't want to be right.


Smut Girl said...

No! You are not crazy. I want one, too! I have Otis Redding sitting in the basement, sad and alone. It's three o'clock in the morning and he has cigarettes and coffe and he can't sing it to me...
I mean an album, of course. know...Otis's corpse or anything. Because that would be gross.

EllaRegina said...

I love that song! Never saw the video, though. Love the Shiva part.

EllaRegina said...

Smut Girl said...

No! You are not crazy. I want one, too! I have Otis Redding sitting in the basement, sad and alone.

I thought he was sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the tide roll away, or just sitting on the dock of the bay, wasting time.

Maybe your house is more comfortable.

Heidi Champa said...

I have a similar record player myself. In fact, I have three record players of various styles. Is that weird?

Don't cha just love eBay?

Kirsten Monroe said...

I have poor Jimi Hendrix, Van Morrison & Aretha in the basement. Sad! Aretha is wanting some respect, yeah, just a little bit. I'm jealous of your player! I've also read recently that vinyl is the new old big thing.

Isabel Kerr said...

Ha! I knew there was an advantage to being old (ER). I still have a turntable and since there is music out there you cannot even find on-line, like Sarah Vaughn/Milton Nascimento, Brazilian Nights, it comes in handy.

That is very sweet Alison.

Ben said...

Alison, hope you enjoy...there is something CDs cannot duplicate in all or their replay perfection...the click of the mechanism, the plop of the record landing on the platter, the pop as the tonearms's needle hits and the accompanying electronic hiss. There is a certain warmth which varies and brings back a lot of good memories. Cheers!