November 26, 2008

Pink Champagne on Ice


Laugh with me, not at me, when I tell you that I filled the coffee pot this morning and hit "clean" instead of "brew." And then when I caught my error, I had a moment of crisis where I thought that maybe I'd just drink the stuff anyway rather than make a fresh pot. Not because I'm lazy or stingy, but because I needed my damn coffee!

But now, full cup in hand, I wanted to counter my ABC news with tales from the happier side of the coin. See, I've been signed by a power house publisher for an anthology I'm totally crazy about. I can't reveal the title just yet. But I will say this: while the whole situation with the ABCs were falling down like, um, alphabet blocks, other publishing houses have been helping me rebuild the tower. This year, I've been lucky enough to have worked with HarperCollins UK, Harlequin, and Barnes & Noble.

Karma is like that.

I always say that people should be nice because, you know, they should be nice. Not to get somewhere. Not for ulterior motives. But there's nice and then there's doormat. I really have had a brutal year in a lot of ways. But the main way is that I haven't stood up for myself. I haven't said no when I should have. I haven't said fuck you nearly enough.

I'm over that.
Trust me.

Not that I'm going to join the ranks of the people who like to put others down. But that I really only want to surround myself with people who want to boost others up. Want to join me? I'm christening the group: Team Trollop. That's got a nice rah-rah-sisk-boom-bah sound, doesn't it?

XXX,
Alison

P.S. I need the author of "The Hunger" to send mailing info to msalisontyler at yahoo dot com. If you please.
P.P.S. When posting your stories for my Motel Sex contest, remember to put on a title!

16 comments:

Neve Black said...

It's okay to push back and say no sometimes. It's honest. "Sorry, no, but I just can't make, do, or see that this time."

Yes, and doing the right thing, just because it's the right thing always makes you tingle inside, doesn't? There's no other reason, other than your internal compass say's, "yes, this feels right. It's the right thing to do."

Alison, something tells me that you're a survivor and you will always land on your feet with or without coffee. :-)

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Hi, wasn't 'Pink Champagne on Ice' the potential title for a sequel to 'Tiffany Twisted'?

Alison Tyler said...

No, Neve. Not without coffee. Never without coffee.

And, yes, that was my sequel title. Virgin thought my plot was a bit over the top. See, I had the couple switch places again...and get pregnant. (And this was *before* the big news about the pregnant man!)

I thought it would be a fun twist!

XXX,
AT

Kristina Wright said...

You know, last night I wrote the words "It doesn't always pay to be nice" and then deleted them because I want to believe nice is the way to be-- always. I'm naive like that. Sigh.

I'm so glad there is good to go with the bad-- and it sounds like more good than bad! You deserve that.

Alison Tyler said...

I think there's a line from M*A*S*H: "It's nice to be nice to the nice." (Does anyone else remember that?) Of course, I think nice is grand. And I also think that once you become immune to mean people and rude comments, etc., you have a sad chance of becoming one. (Not a rude comment, but a mean person.)

But I'm known for trying to make things work. For keeping my mouth shut. For turning the other cheek.

It's not that I'm going to stop. It's just that I don't want to feel used up at the end of the day.

You know?

XXX,
AT

Smut Girl said...

i find that i go out of my way to be nice in all cases. unless you prove to me that you do not warrant my niceness or my efforts. then all bets are off and i open my little black box of shiny fuck you's and get them ready for delivery ;)

yay for you for your big deal and soldiering in. you rock!
xoxo
sommer

Anonymous said...

I knew I forgot something!

title for the first story posted in motel sex is

'At Break of Day'

Also, I'm very glad someone else is picking up the ABCs. It's such a lovely series.

Nikki Magennis said...

I think I'm naive like Kristina. I deeply want to be a good, nice, positive person.

Even if those terms for some reason sound slightly cringeworthy. I think it takes a lot of courage and work to be 'nice', and I'll never stop trying.

Alison Tyler said...

More power to you, Nikki.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm going to be un-nice. I just meant that I'm not going to roll over on my back quite so often.

You know, Reverse Cow Girl sounds like a position to try.

XXX,
AT

Angell said...

Oh can I join Team Trollop??? Are we getting t-shirts or jerseys or something???

I always try to be nice to everyone. I just feel that there's too many negative things in this world that we can't control, so why be negative with things we can?

But the word doormat has been used to describe me several times over. I just haven't learned yet.

Craig Sorensen said...

It is possible to say no in a nice way. A way to be respectful, but stand up for yourself.

It took me some years to come to terms with this.

And when people give you a hard time, won't respect your "no", it is possible to say "Fuck off" in a nice way too.

EllaRegina said...

Y is for YAY for YOU!

I'd proudly join Team Trollop. Not sure I can keep up with the half-time choreography but I can swing some pom-poms around, no problem.

Nicola O. said...

I remember reading an interview with some very successful businessperson (I can't remember who or what, but the business would've been recognizable) who said that early on, they made it a policy that they would "only do business with nice people." I was honestly staggered to think that someone in the business world might give up a buck if the customer was rude to them, but apparently it worked pretty well for them.

jothemama said...

That's it Craig. It's called assertiveness. Assertiveness doesn't offend. I think it goes hand in hand with self esteem.

Alison Tyler said...

Hey Nicola,

I have a friend who owns a gift shop. She never deals with rude people. Truly, if someone is obnoxious in her store, she says, "You know, I don't think this is the right place for you."

People are shocked that she would turn away $$. But it's not worth the headache to her. What's funny, though, is the reaction. Generally, customers will want to "Talk to the manager." As if they're going to get her fired. But she's the owner.

She says 97% of her customers are lovely. The 3% are the ones who make you want to jab your fingers in your eyes.

XXX,
AT

Saskia Walker said...

Yay! Go, Alison! I'm delighed to see this good news about the new publishing work. It's only right and just, because you're so talented and popular. (not to mention such a fab editor to work with!) I was sad to hear the news about the Alphabet books, but this is the perfect counter news. Many congratulations!