December 04, 2008

A spectacular failure



If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.
Anonymous (often attributed to Dan Quayle)

I'm about to fail in a spectacular way. I have been up most of the night (and a whole lot of nights, recently) worrying about this. And, in fact, I've been jittery for weeks trying to figure out how to do what I think is an impossible job. At least, impossible for me.

Honestly, I haven't let people down too often in my career. I was hired years ago to write a horror novel and a script for a producer in L.A. He continued to change the plot as I was working, calling me in the middle of the night to add a serial killer, to make a tie-in to the Salem witch trials, to "have the sofa fly across the room." No matter what I did, he added new hurdles, until finally, I simply had to be done. This is a different scenario. But I have to keep reminding myself that generally speaking, I come through. 45 anthologies. 25 novels. Lots of stories.

I can't even tally the amount of hours I've put into this project, which is another reason I feel slightly ill.

Nothing really to add to that. Except remember to vote, and to read the latest gossip about Sommer Marsden, the slut.

XXX,
Alison

9 comments:

Nikki Magennis said...

Sorry to hear that, Alison. Anything I can do to help?

Nothing is wasted.

Sending hugs. xx

Alison Tyler said...

You're so sweet. Thanks.

jothemama said...

Boo!

You know, though, sometimes cutting your losses is best. If something's draining you and not working, there must be a reason for that.

The mistake is getting into it, not out of it?

Good luck! Don't be so hard on yourself.

Heidi Champa said...

I agree with Nikki. Who knows what might be around that next corner. Keep your head up. ;)

Smut Girl said...

i agree with all of them! you rock and roll. show me a perfect person and i'll get my gun. sometimes pefection is impossible. and you are closer to perfect than most so move on. everything is a learning experience. om...
xoxo
s

Thomas Roche said...

I'm sorry to hear this. Stay strong and follow your instincts, you are the best!

Craig Sorensen said...

You do so much, so well, Alison, you shouldn't take it to heart.

Jo is right. Sometimes it's best to cut your losses and move on. Sometimes you just get tired of shooting at that moving target. You can't stop the target from moving, so just stop shooting.

EllaRegina said...

Failure is relative. Sticking something out where you wouldn't be pleased with the outcome or to prove you can endure an impossible situation and come out on top is greatly overrated.

Like Craig and Jo said (and everyone else, in other words): cut your losses, change partners and dance. Also the problem being more getting into something that wasn't right to begin with.

A sofa flying across the room sounds great, but only if you're on it and it's going where you want to go.

Good luck. I know you will come through for yourself.

Craig Sorensen said...

A sofa flying across the room sounds great, but only if you're on it and it's going where you want to go.

Ooh! Nicely said!