March 18, 2009

When Stephen Elliott asks you a question...

...you answer. At least, you do if you're me. (Did I say I've been up since the wee hours?) Anyway, Stephen Elliott recently tossed out this question to some fellow writers: Would you all mind sending me a short writeup of the last book you read that you just absolutely, profoundly fell in love with?

I was so excited because I'd just finished Steve Martin's memoir, Born Standing Up, and I'd been telling everyone about the book. I have to admit, I didn't even realize I liked memoirs until I looked on my shelf: Daughter of the Queen of Sheba, The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio, Tender at the Bone, Moab Is My Washpot, Kitchen Confidential, Wrecking Crew, and Boy... all in a row.

Anyway, my write-up for the SM piece is up on The Rumpus. And I thought I'd open up the conversation here, as well. What was the last book *you* loved? And did *you* know how much I liked memoirs?

XXX,
Alison

2 comments:

ste said...

Afterlands by Steven Heighton (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2006/jul/22/featuresreviews.guardianreview12). That review does this book better justice than I could (especially at this hour; is 'better justice' even a real phrase?)... but although it had been a few years since I read anything of Heighton's, within the first page or two of the book, I felt I recognised it as his writing. I don't know, I suppose I could have imagined it. And I don't know if he would thank me for that. But it was a good feeling. And before long, I loved the book in it's own right.

Angell said...

Ummm, I would have to say that the last book I absolutely LOVED was ... hrmmm...Harry, A History (coincidentally it was the last book I read).

Being a huge Harry Potter Fan (and turning into a twelve year old girl every time there was a new movie or book in the franchise) I was fascinated by the behind the scenes look at the making of the greatest website in HP history - The Leaky Cauldron.

I guess you could call it a memoir...