June 03, 2009

Spinning My Wheels

I'm over productive right now. And under focused. I'm up a lot, and writing... but sometimes I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing. For the past twenty years, I have always had back-to-back deadlines. This is why I have 25 novels to my name and 50 anthologies under my garters. But this year, I made a choice to step back a little. And I did. I stepped back. But now, I don't really know which way to step forward.

So I'm just writing. All the fucking time. In some ways, this is what I've always done. (My first "article" was published when I was four!)

Truly, this post is to let you know that while I don't know where I'm going, I hope you'll all come along with me for the ride. Today's stop is at Bastard Life for my story: "Counterpane." EllaRegina called the piece "SO COOL and bartonfinkish."

Don't think there are many higher compliments than that!



Confidant said...

Alison, what you're describing is quite interesting. May I suggest that "which way to step forward" isn't quite the issue? Having escaped the linearity of back-to-back deadlines, you're now zigging and zagging and curlicueing. There is no "forward," exactly; when you’re at the center of things, every direction is straight ahead. What you're describing reminds me of the Hindu sādhvī ("good woman") who chooses to wander on the edges, bestowing blessings and following the maze of her quest. What you describe sounds less like "spinning your wheels" are more like peeling off-road!

I'm so glad there's room on your custom ride for hop-ons. :-)

Alison Tyler said...

Hey, that sounds so eloquent! I'm just going to go with what you said!


Erobintica said...

it's really hard to go in a straight line for any distance

Erobintica said...

oh, and very hot story

Angell said...

Wow - what's it like to NOT be able to stop writing? These days I can't seem to START. I have ideas out the yin-yang (so to speak) but never enough oomph to get them down on paper.

But I'll gladly stick around for the ride. I'm loving it so far.

Thanks for the invitation.

EllaRegina said...

...while I don't know where I'm going, I hope you'll all come along with me for the ride.

Those are the best trips. The Beatles knew that!

Listen to our now-beardless sage, Confidant. He speaketh wisely.

Peel out, babe! My seatbelt is securely fastened. I'll go wherever you lead us, at whatever speed and by any route.