July 28, 2009

I am so fucking naive...


I saw this article online that said a new type of adultery was gaining in popularity: adultery between married partners:

With mistresses and prostitutes becoming a recessionary casualty, would-be cheaters may be redirecting their impulses into other channels, notably adultery between married partners. There are several reasons that this sort of partner-to-partner infidelity could appeal to financially-strapped philanderers. To begin with, there is the cost: while prostitutes and mistresses can be expensive, spouses are far more familiar with the restraints and dangers of marital economics. Similarly, while traditional mistresses encourage pricey gifts, married partners may find them to be potentially-devastating evidence of an affair. Other expenses, like weekend getaways and high-priced apartments, standards of the traditional extramarital relationship, are either unnecessary or logistically unattractive for married girlfriends.

Okay, your friendly, neighborhood trollop thought the writer meant that married couples were pretending to cheat with each other. Sort of in an "If you like Pina Colada" type of way. I didn't realize the article was about married couples cheating with other married couples.

I know.

Ding-dong. Anyone home?

XXX,
Alison

8 comments:

Erobintica said...

Umm, it wasn't just you - I read it and it wasn't clear to me either. I wouldn't mind having an affair with my husband. ;-)

Isabel Kerr said...

No, I think you were just overly influenced by Thomas Roche's (sp? sorry T.) exquisite story in Never Have the Same Sex Twice, where he meets his wife in a bar but they pretend not to know each other. Just one of my favorites from the collection.

xx

neve black said...

Yeah, Alison, I was a bit confused with way the article read too. Hmmm...I don't think you're naive at all. Actually, I love where your mind went - obviously so in love with your husband. :-)

Shanna Germain said...

I thought it meant that too, actually. I was trying to suss it out. I think it's just slightly confusing writing...

jothemama said...

I read something about this somewhere. Married women having serial affairs and one night stands through dating sites, usually with married men - a sort of mutual guarantee that there won't be any repercussions, they both have too much to lose etc.

Lots of women were doing it for revenge or because htey were unsatisfied, and then getting slightly addicted.

Gotta say, it was sad and tawdry, really.

Jade said...

I read it that way too! And I sat there scratching my head til I read your comment--oh! Duh! LOL

Cora Zane said...

Yeah, I read that article too, and the writing seemed kinda...off.

Angell said...

There are tons of sites out there making a mint off of married ones having affairs with others of the same.

Ashley Madison anyone?