September 14, 2009

"a bit much for readers..."


Pleasure Bound: True Bondage Stories
Posted by Editor at 8 September, 2009, 11:13 am
Edited by Alison Tyler
Cleis Press, $14.95, 225 pages

Pleasure Bound: True Bondage Stories is exactly what it sounds like: a collection of fact-based stories of sadomasochistic sex. Compiled by erotica author Alison Tyler, this book does not shy away from naughty details or naughty words, and is sure to provide titillation for fans of erotica–especially bondage erotica. With stories ranging from simple dominant/submissive sex games to full-on (almost abusive-seeming) sexual roleplaying, Pleasure Bound may be a bit much for readers who, like me, aren’t used to reading people writing explicitly of their love of being bound, gagged, demeaned, spanked, etc.

Some of the stories are relentlessly unsexy, some are poorly written, some are unnecessarily explicit–and some are well-written enough to be both entertaining and stimulating. Pleasure Bound isn’t a book to take on the bus during your commute or to read in one sitting–and it isn’t intended to be. A story or two a night should be sufficient to provide readers with kinky, sexy dreams aplenty, which, as far as I can figure, is the real purpose of the book.

Reviewed by Ashley McCall

*****

I have to say, reviews like this always make me shake my head. Why would you even consider reviewing a book if you weren't at least slightly into the subject matter? I know Pleasure Bound is a good book. I know the stories are written well. And I know they're relentlessly sexy. "Unnecessarily explicit" doesn't really compute with me. But I wish the book had been reviewed by someone who didn't seem baffled ("as far as I can figure") by the concept.

It would be like me reviewing a book on widgets. You know?

XXX,
Alison

11 comments:

jothemama said...

It's still pretty positive, taking the non-interest into account, though.

But yes. I wouldn't review an erotic book about a subject that I found unerotic. Strange.

Elise Hepner said...

Maybe it's her secret fetish and she's ashamed of it? Only reason I can think of for her to be picking up the book in the first place.

ste said...

"Unnecessarily explicit"? I admit, I haven't read the book, but I'd imagine that the explicitness is a good amount of the point.

And suggesting people won't like it if they're not used to reading this kind of thing doesn't quite add up. I wasn't used to reading erotica until I tried it (Best Bondage Erotica, I think), and I loved it.

Alison Tyler said...

I think Cleis sent the book to the site for review. But I remember from working on a newspaper that the music editor would receive a slew of records. (Um, yeah. Records.) And we'd get to choose which ones we wanted to review. But if you hated, say, INXS, you didn't choose *that* album.

XXX,
AT

Heidi Champa said...

Unnecessarily explicit? I know what those words mean but that phrase doesn't make any sense. ;)

Erobintica said...

that's like saying a cookbook is unnecessarily food-oriented

jothemama said...

I presume acceptably explicit is when male characters sheath their throbbing manhoods in ladies' love canals, etc. After she's had a sensuous bubble bath and they're on a fur rug by the fire.

Thomas Roche said...

Speaking of throbbing manhood, what I love about it is the backhanded manner in which reviews like this basically slam anyone who doesn't agree with the reviewer. It's all so Victorian. I can't resist the urge to turn a review like this into an inserted document in one of my stories. "Unnecessarily explicit stories like the ones in this collection not be appreciated by those who prefer a good game of cribbage or a rousing neighborhood show-tunes sing-a-long as opposed to revolting displays of sexual degradation and humiliated poppycock. However, those with unsavory tastes and unhealthy obsessions may love this wretched tome for what it is: rank filth, disapproved of by anyone with taste." How can I resist?

Alison Tyler said...

Thomas, I love you. But you already knew that.

XXX,
Alison

Raven said...

Oooh, I think unnecessarily explicit might be a fun tattoo. Or at least an interesting goal one day...

Raven

tygre said...

should see if beantree on etsy would do up some 'unnecessarily explicit' buttons....