November 04, 2009

Third Time's the Charm


I told someone about my rejection file awhile ago, and the writer was all, "Huh? *You* get rejected?"

And I was like, "Yeah, baby. Come on over and I'll show you my collection."

Honestly, this doesn't happen to me so much anymore. Why? Because I don't sub so much anymore. Not that I'm too big to sub. But that I, well...I don't know. I'm just not subbing so much anymore. If I have a story I think might jibe with an editor or a website, I'll toss my piece into the ring. Otherwise, aside from working with my all-time favorite editor, I'm pretty satisfied with penning stories to sell on Kindle or PDF. (In fact, I have a new one to go up in a day or so. Watch this space.)

But I did write this one story. A unique piece for me. I slammed out the story last spring and sent it to a website. Not one that paid even. REJECTED. I took a breath and sent it to another website. REJECTED. And then a site I love came back online. I took two breaths and sent it to them. A few months passed. I was expecting to hear nothing or another REJEC... But today I got fabulous news: ACCEPTED!

As soon as the piece goes live, I'll hit you with a link.

But right now, I think I'll just sit here and pat myself on the back for a minute. Or two. Or even three. Because I've heard—third time's the charm.

XXX,
Alison

P.S. Lovely trio of rings is called Third Time's a Charm!

6 comments:

Jo said...

Good woman! For the result, and the perseverance.

Alison Tyler said...

Thanks, Jo. I thought it would find a home... I just didn't know where. Or when.

riendo said...

Nice!,
3 is my favorite lucky number....

Danielle said...

congrats..well done a t...:-)

but now i m curious who is your all time faqvorite editor?

:-)

JoAnne Kenrick said...

Yeay for hanging in there and believing in your story. A fantastic reminder that an R isn't the end of the world.

Grats on the acceptance. I'll be watching for the link when it goes live - and you've also got me curious as to what your fav site is now ;)

Alison Tyler said...

Sadly, although the piece was live for a few years, the link is now dead. I might post the story on my blog though. B/c it's one I'm super proud of!

XXX,
AT