November 13, 2009

"You had me at anal."


Oh, god, I love this shirt. It's too cool for school. But I have to say, I am just dying to write a letter to Marie Claire today. I stopped buying magazines awhile ago (aside from Esquire and Vanity Fair). And now I remember why. In MC this month, there is a LOVE/SEX column called "You Want Me to Do What?" The author writes about how she was dating a guy who wanted her to put on a strap-on. I knew as I started reading the piece that the writer was going to introduce a concept she considered subversive and then diss on it. And once more, I wondered why the magazine couldn't either publish a companion piece about someone who strapped one on and *enjoyed* it. Or a sidebar with info, like, "If you're interested in trying a strap-on, here's a book. Here's a video. Here's a tool." Or even, how about this? Skip the article with the slap and only publish one that's positive. One with the slant, "Hey, I was dating this guy, and he wanted me to try a strap-on, and I fucking loved it."

Sure, the author is entitled to her own opinion. But her opinion has been given so many times. Basically, all the Sex & the City episodes I saw were built like that: "Let's talk about threesomes. Now, let's talk about how threesomes fuck up a relationship." "Let's introduce spanking. Aren't people who like spanking weirdos?"

Enough.

Wouldn't you love to flip open a magazine and see a column called LOVE/SEX and read, "My guy wanted me to pee on him, and it was great." Or "My girl wanted to bind me down, and I loved it." Or "I was scared to try anal sex. Then I did. And oooooh wow!"

It's not just me, is it?

XXX,
Alison

P.S. If I had *you* at anal, why not buy our Kiss My Ass collection?

10 comments:

Jeremy Edwards said...

Right on. The last thing people need is media voices giving them reasons to feel ashamed of their desires, afraid to propose things to a partner, or intolerant of people who have different turn-ons than they do.

Jo said...

Meh, Marie Claire, Sensationalist Glossy Shite.

I don't think you're the target market, somehow.

Well, except for the nail varnish promotions.

Emmy said...

Totally not just you! I would love it if those columns would stop acting like anal, spanking, etc happened and were enjoyed by people.

It is why I cringe anytime I read those columns.

And, I LOVE that t-shirt too! :)
~Emmy

frost said...

It's not just you! I'd like to see such a thing too! I hate these magazines--every time they do an article on sex it's always the same old stale crap--"Oooo, try reverse cowgirl! Put on a blindfold!" Please! Who is writing that junk?

By the way, this is the first time I've commented, but I've been following your blog for quite a while, and I have a number of your "Erotic Alphabet" books--you're awesome!

Alison Tyler said...

Glad I'm not the only one — and Jo, you're right. I'm not their target audience. But I do like flipping through every so often. Thanks, JE — my thoughts exactly.

Emmy — the t-shirt is too fucking cool, isn't it?
And frost — thanks so much! It's so cool when lurkers de-lurk.

XXX,
Alison

Smut Girl said...

I would never ever write about a story with a woman wearing a strap-on. Especially NOT in that book you just put in your blog.
Nope.
Not me.
Never.
Ever.
Mostly...

XOXO
Sommer

Dayle A. Dermatis said...

Nope, not just you.

But then, I never could understand why Sex in the City was considered edgy or shocking or out there. I thought they were just a bunch of whiners and it was obvious why they couldn't keep men around...

ste said...

That column sounds very silly. A strap-on? O, the horror!

Alison Tyler said...

Well, I am writing to Marie Claire to suggest a companion piece. I don't expect that they'll say yes, but it would be nice to have a mainstream magazine recognize that not everyone likes vanilla.

XXX,
AT

Shanna Germain said...

First, I. want. this. shirt. Damn. Damn. Damn. She even looks kind of like me. Fuck. Damn. Gimme! :)

Second, have you seen Californication? There's a whole plot line that revolves around master/slave/dom/sub stuff -- of course, they're making light of it in some ways, but I think they're also exploring it in a way that's thoughtful. My favorite quote (while discussing sticking a finger in a guy's ass): "You have to be gentle with the brown eye. He's a sensitive man."

Made me laugh. A lot.