February 06, 2013

"Sex, Art, and Bondage"


Today I'm super honored to feature Sacchi Green as she stops by to review Sharon Wachsler's "River of Beauty" from The Big Book of Bondage.

Sex, Art, and Bondage

I’m not one of the authors in The Big Book of Bondage, but as a writer, editor, and reviewer, I’m no stranger to erotica, and I’m a big fan of Sharon Wachsler’s writing. Sharon’s fiction has a way of taking you places you’d never thought of going, and making you glad you did.

“River of Beauty” has a special appeal for me in the way it depicts the merging of sex, art, and self-image. Within the bondage theme, the characters experience shifting layers of control and vulnerability in the context of public performance art. The dominant artist knows what she wants to paint, and accomplish, but is apprehensive and unsure of what the effect will be. The submissive subject knows she will be pinned down and painted on, but not what else will be done to her, or what role she should play. And the third character, the collective audience, finds itself with the ultimate power to both validate the work of the artist and heal the spirit of her subject.

And there is sex, of course, at the very heart of things. The art is about sex, the sex is bound to the art, and the story itself is crafted by a true artist of the written word.


Sacchi Green has published stories in a hip-high stack of books with erotically inspirational covers, and she’s also edited eight erotica anthologies, including Lipstick on Her Collar, Girl Crazy, Lesbian Cowboys (winner of a Lambda Literary Award,) Lesbian Cops, and Girl Fever. Find her at sacchi-green.blogspot.com or on Facebook.

More reviews to pop up soon! I've fallen slightly behind. Oh, you're shocked. I'm sure. I can see it on your face...

XXX,
Alison

P.S. Creative Butterfly XOX has several delightful gay and lesbian photo booth props and cake toppers. I have a little fetish for cake toppers, I have to admit. Mine were antique kewpie dolls.

2 comments:

Sharon Wachsler said...

I'm honored by Sacchi's review. This has definitely made my day. Thank you, Alison and Sacchi!

BTW, my erotica-related blog is at http://sharonwachsler.blogspot.com. (I have too many blogs! I am working on consolidating them.)

cinthiaritchie said...

Nice review! Can't wait to read.