April 21, 2013

"Vaginas Mystify Me"


With a title like that, you know this has to  be good. Right? I was stumbling around online (like you do) and fell into a blog post written by Cameron D. James about Heat Wave. He says, "Being a gay man who writes gay erotic romance, reading a heterosexual erotic book might not have been the best idea." I totally enjoyed his take on the differences between gay/straight fiction. (I don't know that I agree with everything he said, but I know I'm going to be thinking about his statements for awhile.)

I've written gay fiction as well as straight fiction as well as bi fiction as well as gang bang fiction as well as.... and I'm not sure if I've ever thought about the stories differently. I mean, he says, "Straight erotica seems to really graphically and erotically describe the foreplay, but when the sex happens the narrative seems to shift to emotions, connection, and heat... whereas in gay erotica, the foreplay is less important—it often dives right to sex and is explicit and graphic throughout the whole thing..."

Cameron also says, "I think it has to do with who's writing it and who the target demographic is." I totally agree with that. Or at least the first part. I think what counts the most is who is doing the writing rather than what they're writing about. This is just based on my experience as an editor. I never really consider the demographic. 

Still, my favorite line:

Vaginas mystify me. I thought I knew them, but clearly I do not.

An interesting post to ponder. That's for sure.

And if you'd like to try a free read, several of my gay stories are floating about online:

Hole in the Wall (f/f)
Counterpane (m/m and f/m)
The Very Last Blow Job (m/m)

XXX,
Alison

P.S. Sam floated the idea that it's not what gay readers vs. straight readers want, but what men vs. women want. Curiouser and curiouser.

No comments: