January 19, 2014

Make Your Mixed Tape


The other day, I revealed that years ago (and we're talking double-digits), I asked a boyfriend to make me a mixed tape. (Oh, so grasping, I know. You should never have to ask.) But I didn't have the capabilities and I wanted a tape that played one song over and over: John, I'm Only Dancing.

Why? Because I did.

My boyfriend denied me. He could not possibly put only one song on a tape. (God forbid. The heavens would come crashing down.) And, truthfully, I ended up loving the tape he gave me. It was all Bowie. All the time.

But that got me thinking: What would your ideal mixed tape be—to give or to get? (I'm thinking these are different.) Now, maybe this is an impossible question. Maybe the tape you give is linked so divinely  to the person receiving. So you could say, "This is the tape I'd give *you*" or "This is the tape I'd give ______."

My dream tape? Off the top of my head...here's 20:

Some Girls by The Rolling Stones
D'yer Mak'er by Led Zeppelin
Bullet with Butterfly Wings by Smashing Pumpkins
A Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum
Sunny Afternoon by The Kinks
Bela Lugosi's Dead by Bauhaus
Dreamboat 730 by Ringside
Wrong by Depeche Mode
Salvador by Jamie T.
Keep Your Hands to Yourself by The Georgia Satellites
Queen Bitch by David Bowie
Factory of Faith by The Red Hot Chili Peppers
Goodbye Stranger by Supertramp
Sour Times by Portishead
Anything, Anything by Dramarama
I Will Survive by Cake
God Is a Bullet by Concrete Blonde
Love Me Chase Me by Carney
Grapevine Fires by Death Cab for Cutie
Rock On by David Essex

I would never get tired of these songs. And I intentionally only chose one per artist. (Otherwise, we'd have had all Rolling Stones. Or all Bowie.) Now, you...

XXX,
Alison

1 comment:

Frank Noir said...

Not so much a mixtape - more like the songs I have on repeat these days:

Pink Floyd: One of These Days
Pet Shop Boys: Love is a Bourgeois Construct
Nine Inch Nails: Came Back Haunted
Tv on the Radio: Mercy
Eagles of Death Metal: Speaking in Tongues
LCD Soundsystem: Drunk Girls
The Stranglers: Always the Sun
New Order: Run
XTC: The Disappointed
Whale: Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe

(Sounds pretty eclectic, no?)