April 12, 2014

Lost in Sommer


Sommer Marsden is my best friend I've never met. In honor of her new novel, Lost In You, I decided to create questions for each letter in the title. (Like you do.) Some of the queries deal specifically with the novel and some focus more on Sommer, herself—because hey, I'm nosy!


Lost In You opens to page 72. What does the reader see?

‘See, I told you. Actual, real bed.’ Dorian pulled back the duvet and the lovely white high-thread-count sheets. He pressed the mattress with his hand, grinning. ‘And it’s a virgin bed.’
I snorted before quickly covering my face. 

‘Then I certainly can’t sleep in it.’



‘If that’s what I meant, Clover, the act of me climbing into it would cause it to burst into flames.’ He winked at me and again I had that feeling as if we shared some secret joke.


‘TouchĂ©.’ I sighed. I knew he heard the frustration in that small sound by the way he looked up.


‘You still upset because you can’t get through?’


We’d gone back to the main entrance courtesy desk and tried my grandmother again. No answer. Just the monotonous, nerve-wracking sound of overloaded phone lines. A lot of cells were down, most likely due to the storm, and people were falling back on landlines.
‘Yes. And standing there in the entrance watching what seems like the world blow by didn’t help my nerves.’ The deluge had been phenomenal. Rain so dense it just looked like a solid sheet of gunmetal grey perpetually falling from the sky. My chest had gone tight with worry as I watched. And then a wrought-iron bench from around the outdoor fountain had scooted by, drifting across the pavement as if it weighed no more than a paper bag.


‘I know. But I assure you, your grandmother is fine.’ He held a hand out to me and I took it. We stood there like that, clasping clasping hands across the big, beautiful empty bed for a moment. Then I blushed and dropped his hand to step back.

Only 6 of your CDs survive to the desert island with you. What are they?

U2 Joshua Tree, INXS Kick, The Lost Boys Sound Track, The Best of Cat Stevens, The Best of Otis Redding, Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5, 'Emperor'.

Someone has offered to cook your favorite meal. (Not me, obviously, since I can't cook.) But say a real life chef has offered you a dream-come-true meal. What is on your plate?)

I’ll pretend I’m not gluten free for this meal. It would be really good country fried chicken, buttery mashed potatoes, succotash, sweet cornbread, biscuits (yes, both, I am also not doing Shaun T’s T25 for this imaginary, magical meal), my mother’s iced tea, my grandmother’s homemade root beer and her frozen sweetened peaches. Oh, and then monkeyball cake for dessert. This was my birthday meal for many, many, many moons. (Though I added to it a bit). Now…someone roll me to the sofa.

There’s $19.72 in the pocket of your jacket. You put in your hand and discover free money! What do you spend it on?

Probably postage! I’m always mailing stuff out to people. That or to buy drinks for my minions at the Barnes&Noble cafĂ©. One XL Mountain Dew and a Grande Chocolate Frappucino, please. Then the rest would float around in my pocket until I saw little doodads to give to people, probably.

In ten words, describe Clover Brite, the heroine from Lost In You.

Dedicated, sincere, sexy but not quite sure she is, funny, earnest, flighty (but just a bit, anxious, genuine, smitten, happy.

Nearby you on your desk is… 

The edge of my desk! I’m working on my roll-around mobile laptop desk. There’s no room for knick-knacks. Although, I have this desk parked next to my dining room household secretary (no lie) and on that is an antique alarm clock my father bought in Gettysburg, PA when I was about four.

You can take Clover on a fantasy girls' escape vacation. Where do the two of you go?

I would hands down drag my lovely Clover to Key West. Sand, sun, booze, breezes. Because I’ve never been! Although, a character in an upcoming book got to go recently. She had a blast. I have friends who go there often and when they post their pics on FB I sit and sort of…sigh. Key West is on my bucket list, for sure.

Oh, drat! There’s one color left in the hardware store’s paint section. Thankfully, it’s the hue you wanted to use to paint the living room. What color did you luck out with?

Eep! You’re going to unfriend me, Ms. Tyler, but I have to say white. If you had said any room but living room it would have been another hue but my living room is half paneling circa 1970-something. And they painted it white. The white gives what could be a horrid situation a barn-like rustic feel that I love. So I’d have to just give her a new whitewash. Call me Tom Sawyer if you must. Oh, but that means I’d probably trick boy child into doing it for me…

Ultimately, you can only have one male character from True Blood as your screen saver. You do you bat your eyelashes at each time you long on?

Alcide! I know he ruffled my feathers last season and I had a moment or two of forsaking Alcide, but he pulled his head out of his ass and I now would gladly drape his manly form over my desktop. Or my actual desk. Wait, let me close the curtains.

* And now for the question of the day: which movie is this quote from?

“Mr. Takagi, I could talk about men's fashion and industrialization all day but I'm afraid work must intrude, and my associate Theo has some questions for you, sort of fill in the blanks questions...”

Do I have to tell them that I asked you? Yes, yes, I do. Okay, Alison…what movie IS IT???!!!

Sommer Marsden is a professional dirty word writer, gluten-free baker, sock addict, fat wiener dog walker, and expert procrastinator. She writes for HarperCollins Mischief, Ellora's Cave, and many other publishing companies.

Lost In You can be yours for $3.79. No joke. That is less than, well, almost anything. Less than a cup of gourmet coffee. Less than a pair of socks. Less than a Lost In Space Robot (though, he is pretty cool). 

The book is raking up sizzling reviews on Goodreads and Amazon already! Oh, and don't forget to answer my question of the day for a chance to win a surprise gift! (I couldn't write the query: 'fill in the blanks question" without hearing that quote in my head.)

XXX,
Alison

P.S. I'll post the comments at the end of the day so everyone has a fair chance to guess.

7 comments:

Jeremy Wright said...

Gotta love Sommer, She is fantastic! Answer of the day, Die Hard!

CJ Lemire said...

Die Hard.

melonhead said...

Die Hard -Hans

Lost in you is a great read. I loved it, and well pretty much everything else Sommer has written that I have read.

Darius Karada said...

Usual Suspects?

168d7130-34d4-11e2-91ad-000bcdcb5194 said...

It's from DIE HARD (though Bruce Willis will always, always be MOONLIGHTING's David Addison to me!)

--Trix, vitajex(at)Aol(Dot)com

Dayle A. Dermatis said...

Ooh ooh! I know the answer! Die Hard!

fdotleonora said...

This is adorable and I see why you love Sommer Marsden so much, her answers are great! I have to stop reading your blog because I always end up buying a book and now I need Lost in You...but at least I will listen to some INXS so...