April 14, 2014

"...nobody does it with as much style and skill..."



Yes, I'm still working through my papers. You should see my desk.  (No, wait. Maybe you shouldn't.) There are brightly colored envelopes, contracts, Johnny Cash stamps, and glossy little red fortune fish swimming all over the surface. But I'm getting there... 

While you're waiting for Monday to take effect, please check out this unbelievably awesome new review by Saachi for The Delicious Torment:

Let Me Not to the Marriage of True Minds Admit Impediment


You’ve seen the line above in Shakespeare’s sonnet number 116. You’ve probably heard it read. But (it) isn’t about weddings, as such, but about two people who match each other’s needs so perfectly that nothing can destroy their love.



Alison Tyler’s The Delicious Torment, the sequel to her Dark, Secret Love, is about two people with such intense, specific, on-the-edge needs that it seems like a miracle that they found each other.

Samantha, the heroine based on Alison Tyler herself, is “ensconced in an S/M relationship that makes everything I’ve done before turn a whiter shade of pale.” Jack is older, a high-powered lawyer, whose need to dominate through “pain and shame and utter humiliation” could only be satisfied by a woman like Samantha, as strong in her way as she is submissive. Pain and humiliation are pleasure to her, even when she dreads them, and they bring her to orgasm even when they bring her to tears. Jack gives her what she needs, and she loves him without reserve, while he needs her love as much as her submission, even though he needs her to prove that love over and over.



There are plenty of S/M books out there now, but nobody does it with as much style and skill as Alison Tyler. Nobody makes it as real, as convincing, as appealing even to people whose tastes have never run that way. And the story here is more than a series of “scenes,” even though the traditional canes and belts and crops and chains play their part. The relationship has its twists and turns and unexpected deviations, especially when it comes to involve a third person. There are adjustments and alterations that might strain a love less strong. Jack’s difficulty in trusting Samantha’s love and the lengths he goes to in testing her could have destroyed the very thing he craved. But no impediment is great enough to tear these true minds (and bodies) apart.


What's funny is that I know the poem by heart. It's one of those treasured snippets I carry around with me in the back pocket of my mind. This weekend, I had a different poem echoing and reverberating. Do you know Jenny Kissed Me? For some reason, I rolled those words around all weekend long.

But back to work. I'll be in touch shortly with those of you who want to be part of a Never Say Never tour. And I'll do whatever else it is I'm supposed to do as soon as I figure out which way is up.

XXX,
Alison

1 comment:

Sacchi Green said...

Oh yes. "Jenny kissed me when we met..." I know all the rest, but not well enough to quote without looking it up.