November 24, 2015

I ♥ Chaucer


This week, a friend sent me a comic cut from The New Yorker. What was the theme? Yes. You guessed it! Chaucer!

I'm delighted, honestly, that other people are as interested in Chaucer as I am. For some reason, I continually trip over articles about staying relevant. Or no longer being relevant. Rants and raves and rending of one's hair. But look at Chaucer—more than 600 years later, and he's still going strong.

Yet, I believe we have reached the end of this section of the Bawdy Book Club. Several readers have let me know they've finished whichever version they were devouring. But have no fear. I would like to start a new book in the New Year, and I'm still pondering which title to suggest. (Open, definitely to your ideas.)

I have immensely enjoyed and deeply appreciated your participation in this very bizarre, completely disorganized book club. Researching is always a pleasurable trip to me. I feel that I learned more in our club than I might have in a more structured class. (I definitely had more fun!)

What I truly love is how inspiring The Canterbury Tales are to artists and writers and musicians. I read that Sting's Ten Summoner's Tales was meant as a musical Canterbury Tales. I've caught references fairly consistently since I started to carry the book around. The above quotation, I have seen multiple times but never realized it was from Chaucer. (Or, apparently, Hippocrates translated by Chaucer.)

Next week, I will plan to toss out ideas for our second selection.

Please stay tuned...

XXX,
Alison


4 comments:

Jim Scovill said...

Further Exploration of La Bele Chose
I am curious why all modern references to Chaucet's Cunt use queynte but my editor always uses queinte. Is this just her personal choice or can I find a change in the historical record?

Jim Scovill said...

I checked the British Library's first printed edition(1476) and found queynte. I looked at LIU's Ellesmere manuscript but they only have the first page of each tale online.

Jim Scovill said...

So I moved on to the Ellesmere manuscript at the Huntington Library in San Marino, Ca. I'm not sure if it is the original, the copyist, or my display but the text here is just a little bit better than a blur.

Jim Scovill said...

I changed from the Wife of Bath prologue to the Miller's Tale L3275-3276:
As clerkes been ful subtil and ful QUEINTE.
..... clever
And prively he caughte hire by the QUEINTE,
.... crotch

After looking at this on and off for a couple of hours I think the word in this manuscript is queinte.